Wordcatcher Publishing is proud to be confirmed as a signatory to the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) Publishers Compact.
By joining the Compact, Wordcatcher has committed to making itself more sustainable, and to acting as an ambassador for the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals during the 2020–30 ‘Decade of Action’.
During this decade, the United Nations is calling on “all sectors of society to mobilize” at all levels around 17 Sustainable Development Goals. These include climate action, responsible consumption and production, industry, innovation and infrastructure and the elimination of poverty.
As members of the Compact, Wordcatcher will endeavour to publish on themes which will ‘help inform, develop, and inspire action’ towards realising the Goals.
Moreover, we have agreed to work on ten commitments. We will be writing a more in-depth post about each of these commitments as we identify what we can achieve. They are as follows (taken from the UN website):
- Committing to the SDGs: Stating sustainability policies and targets on our website, including adherence to this Compact; incorporating SDGs and their targets as appropriate.
- Actively promoting and acquiring content that advocates for themes represented by the SDGs, such as equality, sustainability, justice and safeguarding and strengthening the environment.
- Annually reporting on progress towards achieving SDGs, sharing data and contribute to benchmarking activities, helping to share best practices and identify gaps that still need to be addressed.
- Nominating a person who will promote SDG progress, acting as a point of contact and coordinating the SDG themes throughout the organization.
- Raising awareness and promoting the SDGs among staff to increase awareness of SDG-related policies and goals and encouraging projects that will help achieve the SDGs by 2030.
- Raising awareness and promoting the SDGs among suppliers, to advocate for SDGs and to collaborate on areas that need innovative actions and solutions.
- Becoming an advocate to customers and stakeholders by promoting and actively communicating about the SDG agenda through marketing, websites, promotions and projects.
- Collaborating across cities, countries, and continents with other signatories and organizations to develop, localize and scale projects that will advance progress on the SDGs individually or through their Publishing Association.
- Dedicating budget and other resources towards accelerating progress for SDG-dedicated projects and promoting SDG principles.
- Taking action on at least one SDG goal, either as an individual publisher or through your national publishing association and sharing progress annually.
We look forward to sharing these updates with you soon, and hope this news will make our authors, illustrators and readers find small ways they too can join in with this campaign for change.
Join in the conversation on social media with the hashtag #SDGPublishersCompact.