An eloquent male is one who can describe Dolly Parton without using his hands.Joan Rivers
How often do we take for granted everyday words? Here’s what I mean:
- Write a definition of the word ‘and.’
- List all of the possible uses of a mug that you can imagine.
- Write a dictionary definition for pen (without looking at a dictionary).
- Go onto Wikipedia.org and find a definition that is really bad, or incomplete, and write an accurate entry (if you take a look at ‘passing’, some of that is mine).
- Using as many dictionaries as you can, find all of the possible meanings of a word, and see how they differ, and how they are the same. Note when the definitions date from, and how they might have subtly or dramatically changed (consider words such as grooming or queer).
Because language is so fundamental to our communication, we can learn a lot by seeing how it can change across time and space. It’s interesting to see how words can be defined in many different ways, yet we think we understand their meaning.
This creativity tip comes from Build Your Own Idea Factory: 68 ways to boost your creativity and get inspired by David Norrington