Ensure high-quality audio in your virtual classroom by considering your equipment. Standalone microphones pick up background noise, but are often of a better quality. Alternatively, here are two types of headphones: wired and bluetooth. Bluetooth headphones let you move around more and, therefore, be more engaging, but you might need a backup in case they run out of battery. Lastly, always make sure students are on mute when in the main classroom. This helps you avoid any background noise.
Teachers’ Tips Series with Kevin McAlpin
Teachers, teaching assistants and other educators have raised many concerns and queries online about best practices in virtual classrooms. We’ve also heard from many parents and schoolchildren about issues they’ve faced as schools across the UK and beyond find themselves back online amidst the coronavirus pandemic.
In this Q&A video series, Kevin McAlpin, author of Virtual Facilitation and Meetings: A Desktop Reference for Running a Successful Online Classroom, answers some of your most pressing concerns.
- ‘How Can Students Get My Attention Online?’
- ‘How Can Teachers Come Across Approachably Online?’
- ‘How Can Teachers Give Individual Support Online?’
- ‘How Can Teachers Ensure High-Quality Audio in Their Virtual Classrooms?’
- ‘How Can Teachers Make Online Lessons More Practical?’
- ‘Should Teachers Work with Teaching Assistants Online?’
- ‘How Should Teachers Ask Questions in a Virtual Classroom?’
- ‘What Does Good Preparation Look Like for a Virtual Lesson?’
- ‘How Should Teachers Use the Chat Function in an Online Classroom?’
- ‘How Can Teachers Moderate Online Chats?’
- ‘Does the Content Need to Be Reduced in a Virtual Classroom?’
- ‘Should Teachers Give All Work Out at the Start of Online Lessons?’
- ‘How Important Is It to Teach Live?’
- ‘How Should PowerPoint Be Used in Virtual Classrooms?’
- ‘Do Teachers Need to Be Available During Pre-Recorded Lessons?’
Buy Virtual Facilitation and Meetings in ebook or print format from Amazon, Apple Books, Google Books, Watersones, Hive.co.uk, or your preferred retailer: geni.us/virtual-buy